A fabric sofa is an attractive and comfortable seating option, so popular that almost every home has at least one. However, fabric upholstery can attract dirt, dust, and stains over time. Here are some tips on how to clean a fabric sofa to keep it looking fresh and new.
- Remove loose dirt and dust. Use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to vacuum the entire surface of the sofa. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies, including the crevices between cushions.
- Check the care label. Before you start cleaning the sofa, check the care instructions to ensure you are using the right cleaning products and techniques. The care label should provide directions for cleaning the particular type of upholstery fabric and may indicate whether the fabric is water-safe or dry-clean only.
- Spot-clean stains. If your sofa has stains, use a stain remover that is suitable for your fabric type. Many types of stains can be removed with simple household ingredient cleaners like a solution of vinegar and water, or diluted dish soap. Test the stain remover on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not damage the fabric. Apply the stain remover to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before gently blotting it with a clean cloth.
- Clean the sofa. To clean the entire sofa, mix a small amount of mild soap or detergent with water. Use a clean, soft cloth to gently clean the sofa, working in sections. Be sure to wring out the cloth so that it is only damp, not soaking wet. Avoid using too much water, as this can damage the fabric and cause it to shrink or stretch.
- Dry the sofa. After cleaning the sofa, allow it to air dry completely before using it again. Avoid using a hair dryer or other heat source to dry the sofa, as this can damage the fabric.
- Protect the sofa. To keep your fabric sofa looking its best, consider using a fabric protector spray. This can help repel spills and stains and make cleaning easier in the future.
- When in doubt: If you have old, set-in stains on your sofa or stains that are just too stubborn to remove, it may be time to call in the professionals!
In conclusion, cleaning a fabric sofa is a straightforward process that can be done with simple household items. Just follow these steps and you can keep your sofa looking clean and fresh for many years. If you want to save time and skip the DIY route, call in the professionals. Five Step Carpet Care is the top source for sustainable, eco-friendly upholstery cleaning in the Asheville, NC area. Give us a call at 828.237.3237 today!