Our team has combined decades’ experience in the upholstery cleaning biz. With all that experience, we’ve run into more than a few misguided pieces of upholstery cleaning advice! From myths to outright lies, here are our top 5 most frequently heard misconceptions about upholstery cleaning, along with the real truth from the industry professionals at Five Step Carpet Care.
- All upholstery cleaning companies are the same. False! It’s the same in any industry. All service providers are not created equal. A while back on the blog, we published a helpful checklist to ensure you’re hiring someone who will do the job right (the first time!) and treat you like the valuable customer you are.
- The sole purpose of upholstery cleaning is to remove visible dirt. Nope! Effective upholstery cleaning not only removes visible soiling; it attacks germs and other pathogens that hide in or under your upholstery. Things such as mold spores, bacteria, dander, and allergens. It also freshens the fabric, making it look brighter and feel softer. And a good professional cleaning should eliminate any musty or sour odors coming from the upholstery or the cushions underneath.
- Cleaning your upholstery causes it to deteriorate faster. Wrong again! This myth may have gotten started due to improper cleaning methods (such as scrubbing) that actually can cause damage to certain fabrics. But an experienced, professional upholstery cleaning service would never use these methods. At Five Step, we’re familiar with hundreds of different types of upholstery fabrics and how to clean them. We stay far away from abrasives and harsh chemical agents. Rest assured that our gentle products and cleaning methods will NOT cause deterioration.
- DIY cleaning is just as effective as professional cleaning. Unlikely. Although it’s possible to clean your own upholstery using commercially available cleaning products and/or rental equipment, chances are high that your efforts will not produce the same results as a professional upholstery cleaning service. Why? Because professional cleaners have tons of experience that the average consumer does not, and because our equipment is of much higher quality. Since improper cleaning can damage your upholstery or lead to mold and mildew growth inside of the cushions, it’s much more cost-effective to hire a competent professional. We wrote an entire blog post on this topic a couple years ago.
- Professional cleaning isn’t worth the money. On the contrary, it may save you money in the long run. Your furniture represents a significant investment in your home and your continued ability to enjoy it. If your furniture is dirty, you won’t enjoy it nearly as much. And in addition to present enjoyment, professional cleaning can be a smart financial decision in the longer term. Quality furniture can last a very long time—if it’s properly cared for. A yearly or bi-yearly cleaning for your sofa and chairs is much cheaper in the long run than having to replace them every few years because they look dingy and smell funny.
If you live in the Asheville, NC area and are in need of top notch professional upholstery cleaning, give Five Step a call at 828.237.3237 or drop us a line via our contact form today!