We’ve been in the business a long time, and when it comes to upholstery care myths, we’ve heard them all! Here are our top 5 most frequently heard misconceptions about upholstery cleaning, along with the real truth from industry professionals at Five Step Carpet Care.
- All upholstery cleaning companies are the same. Au contraire! Just as with any industry, ALL UPHOLSTERY CLEANERS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. We’ve published a handy checklist to help you make sure you are hiring a company that will do the job right, and treat you like the valuable customer that you are. Check it out here.
- An upholstery cleaner does nothing more than remove visible dirt. Wrong again! Proper upholstery cleaning not only removes visible dirt; it also tackles harmful pathogens that might be hidden in or under your upholstery. Things such as mold spores, bacteria, dander, and other allergens. It also freshens the fabric, making it look brighter and feel softer, and a good professional cleaning will also negate any musty odors coming from the upholstery or underneath it.
- Cleaning your upholstery causes it to deteriorate. Not true! We think this myth got started because there are improper cleaning methods, such as scrubbing, that can lead to deterioration of the upholstery fabric. But an experienced, professional upholstery cleaning service would never use these methods. At Five Step, we’re familiar with hundreds of different types of upholstery fabrics and how to clean them. We never use abrasives or harsh chemical agents on your upholstery. Rest assured that our gentle cleaning methods will NOT cause deterioration.
- DIY cleaning is just as effective as professional cleaning. Not likely. Although it is possible to clean your own upholstery using store-bought cleaning solutions and rental equipment, chances are high that your efforts will not produce the same results as a professional upholstery cleaning service. Why? Because professional cleaners have tons of experience that the average consumer does not, and because the equipment we use is of much higher quality. Since improper cleaning can damage your upholstery or lead to mold and mildew growing inside of your furniture cushions, it’s much more cost effective to hire a competent professional. We wrote an entire blog post on this topic last year. Check it out to learn more.
- It’s not worth the money you spend. Your furniture represents a significant investment in your home and your continued ability to enjoy it. If your furniture is dirty, you won’t enjoy it nearly as much. And in addition to present enjoyment, professional cleaning can be a smart financial decision in the longer term. Quality furniture can last a very long time—if it’s properly cared for. A yearly or bi-yearly cleaning for your sofa and chairs is much cheaper in the long run than having to replace them every few years because they look dingy and smell funny.
If you live in the Asheville, NC area and are in need of top notch professional upholstery cleaning, give Five Step a call at 828.772.1824 or drop us a line via our contact form today!