If you have tile floors in your home, you want to keep them looking bright and shiny, and prevent the grout from yellowing over time. In pursuit of clean tile floors, you may have run into some questionable maintenance advice.
As Western North Carolina’s top tile and grout cleaning experts, we’ve seen and heard plenty of horror stories about damage caused by these common tile cleaning mistakes. Don’t fall victim to these top tile and grout cleaning myths!
- All you have to do is mop it! Of course, regular mopping is essential to keeping tile floors clean, but to keep them looking their best in the long term, a little more maintenance is required. Periodic deep cleaning can prevent grout from becoming yellowed or old-looking.
- Acid cleaners are best for cleaning tile and grout. Acid-based cleaning agents are great at cutting through years of caked-on dirt and grime. The problem is they are also great at corroding tile and grout. If you do choose to use an acid-based cleaner, make sure it is in a very low concentration and that you rinse it off quickly, before it has a chance to eat away at your tile.
- Abrasive brushes and powders are the way to go. Wire brushes and scouring powders are another thing that’s very effective at removing dirt, but can also damage your tile and grout. Using these materials, you run the risk of scratching the tile surface or creating minute holes in grout, where adulterating particles can seep in.
- Sealed grout doesn’t need maintenance. Sealants can go a long way toward protecting grout, but even sealed grout requires periodic maintenance.
- Just soak it in soapy water. Soap molecules can actually settle into the tiny surface holes in grout and attract dirt and grime. In addition, certain types of soap can create a veneer of “soap scum” on your tiles that can be difficult to remove.
- Bleach is safe for use on tile and grout. Never use bleach or bleach-based cleaning agents on tile and grout. Over time, bleach causes deterioration of grout, and it can also damage the shiny glazed surface of many types of tile.
That about covers it! If you are in the Asheville, NC area and are looking for top-notch tile and grout cleaning professionals, look no further than Five Step! For more information, drop us a line or give us a call at 828.231-3237.